Burning Wood

Monday, October 22, 2012

David Bowie, Or How I Need To Be Careful What I Wish For


I have been thinking about David Bowie's latest stretch of inactivity, which is going on for about 7 years now. I am a fan, and at times have been fanatical, especially when defending his output since 1995, which I think is criminally underrated. I keep hoping I hear something other than the occasional Bowie "sighting" on the streets of New York, which is starting to become on par with the Yeti. I really do need some new music, and at least some positive news regarding his health, as this hiatus began soon after his heart attack and subsequent surgery.

I also never not think of my pal Steve Simels when thinking of David Bowie. For you regular readers of Steve's indispensible blog Power Pop, you will be familiar with his somewhat legendary disdain for The Thin White Duke.

So I had an idea.

Wanting to start a discussion about Bowie, with positive points being made about his ever-changing styles and fantastic records other than "Ziggy Stardust," I thought it'd be great to have a point/counterpoint intro, with me showing the love and Simels vehemently disagreeing, setting the stage for more thoughts and dialogue.

I asked and I received this, a gift from Steve, whose following words are just too marvelous.

Before you continue, I want to stress, I sincerely love what he wrote, even if I disagree with a lot of it. I've removed nothing.


Sal -- I should preface this by saying I've mellowed on the subject of the Thin White Duke, to the point I will even admit that there are occasional Bowie songs == Heroes, Golden Years, Rebel Rebel -- that, should they come on my radio unbidden, I wouldn't change the station. In any case, most of these opinions were formed during his 70s heyday; I was a self-righteous twenty something at the time, so such opinions were justifiable. Today, of course, less so.

That said here's a list.


1. The early records (post the Lower Third, but pre-Ziggy)

Impossible to distinguish from the work of noted rocker Anthony Newley, and if I wanted to listen to Anthony Newley, which I never have, I would listen to the real thing, not Bowie's thin gruel.

2. Ziggy Stardust


Or as we call it at Casa Simels -- "Flash Gordon and the Gay Guys From Outer Space." Possibly the most asinine concept in the history of rock concept albums, and with one or two exceptions -- possibly "Hang on to Yourself" and "Suffragette City" -- the songwriting is absymal.

3. The singing


If Bowie isn't the least soulful vocalist ever, I don't know who is; worse, that pre-rock crooning style of his has provided the template for generations of unlistenable singers on both side of the pond.

4. Pinups


One of the three worst covers albums ever made. The other two, of course are Bryan Ferry's "These Foolish Things" and

Duran Duran's 1995 Thank You.

The former, I think, is an utterly appaling concept record in which Ferry, nitwit that he is, advances the concept that
Bob Dylan's "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall" has something in common artistically with Lesley Gore's "It's My Party" other than the fact that both were originally recorded by sentient mammals.

The latter, on the other hand, is merely a sloppy mess in which one of the world's most useless bands pays tribute to its non-roots and tries, unsuccessfully, to convince the world that
Simon Le Bon has any business performing a Public Enemy song.

Pin Ups, however, I think is exponentially worse. At the time it came out, somebody who hadn't yet heard it (Lester Bangs, actually, who quoted me without attribution in his subsequent review) asked what it sounded like and I replied "Like twelve versions of 'Let's Spend the Night Together' on Aladdin Sane." (At the time, of course, Bowie's "Let's Spend the Night Together" was generally conceded to be the single lamest version of a Stones song evah).

What I would have added, time permitting, is that the entire attitude that Pin Ups exudes (reeks of, might be a more accurate phrase) is a Look at Me I'm Wonderful contempt for the material. The album, IMHO, is the work of a guy who's convinced that these silly little songs and the people who recorded them are ever so trivial and ridiculous, so thank god that he -- The Greatest Star -- is deigning to give them a little undeserved, reflected, acclaim in his trademark bullshit campy ironic way.

Not to mention that the singing is flatout awful; the affectless, emotionless, pretentious pseudo-operatic bleating Bowie subjects the songs to is light years removed from the punkish snarl and passion that most of them (with the possible exception of The Mersey's "Sorrow") require.

Have I mentioned that I hate the goddamn album?

5. Young Americans and the fake soul period

Unlistenable on every level, and "Do you remember President Nixon" is so bogus and stupid I don't even know where to begin.



Ahem....

Soooo.....

It was "Aladdin Sane" and not "Ziggy Stardust" that first introduced me to David Bowie, and being a kid and a Rolling Stones fan, I went right for Side Two, Track Three. I was blown away. I heard punk rock even though it hadn't existed yet. I heard "Let's Spend The Night Together" like I had never heard it before. Fresh and exciting and insane and with great playing on top of it all. I still love it and I still don't understand the "lamest version of a Stones song evah" moniker.

I also love "Pin Ups," and I don't feel any of the words Steve used above to describe it. Bowie had been and still is friends with Ray Davies, Pete Townshend and David Gilmour, just some of the artists covered on "Pin Ups," so the feeling that Bowie regarded these songs and their creators as silly seems wrong. Are any of the covers on "Pin Ups" better than the originals? Maybe "Sorrow," but otherwise, no. But on its own, Bowie's collection is again fresh, if a bit bombastic.

Steve and I do agree to some extent on Bowie's soulless crooning, though I am obviously more forgiving. It's just one of his styles, just as Dylan had his "Nashville Skyline" voice and Ray Davies his "Arthur" voice. Bowie's crooning can be wonderfully affective, especially on his masterwork "Station To Station," which I am hoping is not included as part of the "fake soul period" Steve mentioned.

I've always thought Bowie was one step ahead of the game, even through the nadir of his existence, from 1984-1990. That period of releases, though mostly dreck, still had moments of originality. It saddens me to think that after such a fantastic string of releases starting with 1993's "Black Tie, White Noise" through what I feel his one of his very best pieces of work 2002's "Heathen," David Bowie has possibly hung it all up for good.


If I had to pick 5 --

1. Station To Station
2. Hunky Dory
3. Low
4. Aladdin Sane
5. Heathen

If I had to pick 5 more...

6. The Man Who Sold The World
7. Ziggy Stardust
8. Diamond Dogs
9. Black Tie, White Noise
10.Heroes



19 comments:

  1. I heard "Let's Spend The Night Together" like I had never heard it before. Fresh and exciting and insane and with great playing on top of it all. I still love it and I still don't understand the "lamest version of a Stones song evah" moniker.

    Sal -- two words.

    Mike. Garson.

    Who is to rock piano playing what Jerry Lewis is to modern dance.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!

    (I like the Garson piano.)

    I'd also like to say that it was Syd Barrett who was covered on "Pin Ups" and not David Gilmour. But still...as the saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I agree whole-heartedly with Steve about pre Ziggy and Anthony Newley. I remember scratching my head when my friend bought "Images". I hope I never "get" that period.
    2. I couldn't disagree more in regards to Ziggy. That was my point of entry. I was 15 when I taped the Santa Monica Civic concert to reel to reel. I was already a big Kinks fan so somewhat effete iffy vocals weren't a problem for me. I bought the album at K-Mart and played it to death. My Dad tried to wreck it for me by saying, "Well, you know he's a queer", but I didn't care.
    Steve's appraisal doesn't wreck it for me either. Even then I knew the concept was pretty loose.
    3. The singing- I'll take Bowie over Robert Plant any day.
    4. I loved "Pin-ups" when it came out. Of course I was unfamiliar with most of the originals, which I soon sought out. Hearing them didn't make me hate Bowie's version, and I still prefer his take on "Sorrow", and "Where Have All The Good times Gone?"
    I'm sorry Steve doesn't "get" Bryan Ferry. He didn't always hit the mark, but I like that he tried on so many hats.
    5. Disco and fake soul. I agree with Steve here. I felt so betrayed by "David Live", and "Young Americans" turned me off until "Low". Steve probably includes "Station To Station". I like the title track, and "TVC15", but those side closers with all the W's bore me to death.
    As I commented over at Burning Wood, "Let's Spend The Night Together" is not my favorite Stones song, and Bowie's cover is a vast improvement.
    And Mike Garson kills it in a good way. He and Mick Ronson are over the top all over "Alladin Sane", making it one of my all-time favorite albums.
    I downloaded "Toy" and enjoy his remake of The Lower Third's "I Dig Everything".
    Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...but those side closers with all the W's bore me to death."

    Genius!

    One thing, "Man Who Sold The World," and "Hunky Dory" are also pre-Ziggy. We couldn't possibly be referring to those records when discussing Anthony Newley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No "Hunky Dory" is one of the best. I'm not as fond of "Man Who Sold The World" (the album), but it's the best song on "Nirvana Unplugged".

      Delete
  5. I couldn't find a question to answer, so I'll offer this -- Hunky Dory is my favorite Bowie album, followed by Station To Station. Then there's Aladdin Sane, Low and fine, okay, Ziggy.
    From there we have Diamond Dogs, Tin Machine and Heathen. I reject your Black Tie White Noise and submit Buddha of Suburbia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wardo--

    There's no question to answer. As a longtime Bowie devotee, I found Steve Simels remarks worth posting and discussing, as I am sure many might agree while others may not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pin Ups is one of my least favorite albums by The Dame. However, Bowie's cover of It's Hard To Be A Saint.. from a few yrs later is one of my faves by anyone.

    Hunky Dory, Station To Station, & Heathen are my 3 fave albums; fairly different periods in The Dame's career. Though I hate some of the vocal mixes on S to S (Stay, W is W, etc) that muffle his voice.

    Sal, we agree about the later albums being highly underrated. Bring Me The Disco King is epic-- whether the piano riff original or the remix. So is Loneliest Guy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah. Well, Steve's makes some interesting points, and backs them up. I aspire to be that thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was nothing like being a teenager in the early 70's and getting a dose of glam and gender identity crises. I've never been a big fan of Bowie's voice or his idiosyncratic production, but props to him for rescuing Mott, championing Iggy when everyone else had forgotten about him and basically being the only thing interesting in that forsaken decade until punk came along. oh yeh, and "The Hunger," "Man Who Fell to Earth" and Bauhaus' cover of "Ziggy."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some random thoughts:

    "Hunky Dory" would definitely be high on the list of albums that most people seem to love but have never done much for me. I don't think it's "bad" or even dislike it, just, eh... But I think I get why people love it, it's well crafted, "Changes" is hooky... Similarly, Lodger is one of my all-time favorite Bowie albums, but I also get why for most people it's not; the songwriting isn't as inspired as elsewhere in the canon, it just hit some weird sweet spot for me... Funny, when you can respect something but not like it, and vice versa. I love "I Am the DJ," but yeah, maybe it's cheesy...

    I love "Pin Ups." Of course that was my introduction to most of those songs. That was huge in 1978 when I first heard that album, and classic rock had already become pretty narrowly defined and on the radio most pre-Hendrix rock was ignored. Really opened my ears, and also that music fit so well with punk and new wave. I can see not digging the album, but I can't see how anyone could fail to see it as a labor of genuine love. "Let's Spend the Night Together," as well, as campy as it is. It's fun!

    Bowie is probably second only to Bob Dylan in inspiring some of the worst writing in rock criticism. Not criticizing anyone here!!!! But the word "chameleon-like should probably be struck from the English language.

    I hated the "Let's Dance" album when it came out, but fuck if most of those songs aren't catchy...

    Bruce H.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always thought Bowie was one step behind the game … but a crucial half-step. He was way ahead of most fans of any given genre, given his locations (London, New York, Berlin), but essentially copying what we has into at each time and place … in his own special way. He innovated nothing. (And if you recall in the 70s, trends tended to catch fire and grow via print publication and consensus formed via word of mouth, as opposed to the internet, i.e., you could live in the kind of places noted above and be on top of a trend that wouldn’t break nationally for months or maybe even years. CBGBs was around quite some time before any of those bands broke out big.)

    Ziggy was a direct rip of Marc Bolan, so good that he out-Bolaned Bolan. That’s another thing about Bowie: he was great at equaling or surpassing the talent level of people he was imitating, or at least making it more appealing to the masses. But that’s the first myth, that Bowie created glitter rock, when he already had a blue print via Marc Bolan and fragments from Warhol’s crew of folks in NYC.

    The Soul stuff was pretty obvious, so obvious he went to Philly itself to get the Philly International sound. A lot of that album works for me, despite the nutty cover of "Across the Universe," which Lennon must have approved of as he played on it. The way he sings "restless wind inside a letter box" always makes me cring. Plus, The Bee Gees were way out in front of the curve on white soul, along with Howard Casey.

    Low? He moved to Berlin … to take in the German influences of Can and Kraftwerk that he and Eno were clearly enamored with at the time. The sounds and influences were already there: he simply synthesized them in his own way. And that era ushered in his last golden age, from there through Scarey Monsters.

    You can make the case that his 90s work suffers simply in that he was clearly imitating stuff that had been floating around for years, as opposed to months. (I hated the 90s stuff at the time but have since realized if you wade through, there are plenty of good songs, if not albums.) In the 70s, he was that smart, that on top of things, that he’d pick up influences that quickly, a matter of months, and present it to the public as if he was one of the innovators of a given genre. And as far as most fans knew, he was.

    Bowie is a very smart recording artist – always has been. Smart, tasteful and talented. What I’ve noted above might seem like an insult, but it’s only my take on his place in music history, which is to correctly note that he was a brilliant imitator, not an innovator, and a deeply talented songwriter and performer. One of my favorite recording artists, too – just because he didn’t innovate anything doesn’t mean he wasn’t pretty damn good at what he did.

    I’ll go with Station to Station, too, as the favorite – an album made, by his own admission, while he was totally numb on coke in Los Angeles and mentally/emotionally lost. The music surely doesn’t feel that way. About my only real knock against Bowie is the histrionic/hammy vocals on occasion. I’ve seen fans describe “Sweet Thing” on Diamond Dogs as an incredible vocal performance, but a lot of it just sounds loungey and hammy to me – like Elvis Costello, he’s got a great voice, but misuses it at times.

    Not everyone’s going to get Bowie. Hell, I don’t get XTC, and probably a few other bands that have legions of fans who swear by them. Plenty of people I know into music don’t get Springsteen. Different strokes! Way past the age where I'm going to bust someone's balls for not liking what I like!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is Ziggy any worse than Tommy? I'm still not sure what that's about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. bowie is nearly as great, and is actually better in many ways, than i thought he was in the 70s. simels is wrong, but great to read and i am glad i am old and can get past disagreements to glean so much good stuff from steve's writing and his site, even though we disagree not infrequently. in my brash, long departed youth, i would have missed many great songs he's pointed me to because i never would have gone back after the first time he annoyed me.

    great topic, sal. when i loved bowie as a teenager, i had to force myself to "like" let's spend the night together. i still don't love it, but i love the daring of it. i love the song young americans, though not the album. i think bowie is limited as a singer, but accomplished as a vocalist. i think alienation, longing, a sense of disconnect from one's own constructions meant to escape alienation and attract attention, and love are what we hear in there. i can't believe how well he hung with bing. i think the first side of low is amazing. i think i wish i had said wild is the wind for last week's cover topic. i think ziggy was always absurd and is nonetheless surprisingly sweet.

    1. station to station

    2. first side of low

    3. aladdin sane

    4. heroes

    5. lodger

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, after I dis writing about Bowie, Repsher writes one of the smartest things about him I've ever read. Like Big Bad Wolf's take too.

    Bruce H.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aladdin Sane - one of my favorite records.

    All the rest - can take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't get me started on Bowie.

    I can see the down and up sides and have always been irritated by how he pinches credit at times for what was the work of others or re-invents his past. Ronson never got the credit either, but you'd expect me to say that.

    I am however a big Bowie fan and I'm currently working through some splendid (in quality and sound) stuff from between 1995 and 2000 from a collection that took me a long while to gather with the internet being in it's infancy.

    I'm with you Sal, there's a lot of great stuff post 1995 and enough rubbish. The Drum and Bass was not inspired and had him not one step behind the game but about a mile and a half, but that tour when he reworked some of the older stuff was ace.

    I got in at Ziggy, thought the Plastic Soul was shite, loved the Berlin affair, defend Lodger forever and Fantastic Voyage could be his best ever song, admire Scary Monsters.

    I never liked Let's Dance, so I was always going to dislike what followed and it is as bad as people say.

    The Tours of the mid to late eighties were dreadful, devised by the local Amateur Dramatic Society.

    Tin Machine was never gonna work on an equal credit basis, he couldn't be one of the guys and why would the press allow him to be, but the albums are nowhere near as bad as you would be led to believe.

    Black Tie White Noise is a fair album, interestingly enough his cover of I Feel Free with Ronson is unnnecessary, but you'd think the same with the reverse credit, Bowie on Ronson's posthumous solo album release, Heaven and Hull, doing Like A Rolling Stone, but that just blazes, a great cover.

    Drum and Bass, nice try, but nowhere near,but things like Hello Spaceboy, Strangers When We Meet and I'm Afraid Of Americans are great.

    Finally, I really like the last three albums, he seems at ease with himself, is concentrating on just writing simple songs and not trying to add that half step away thing, helps him write three really good albums.

    I think Sal knows I've never rated Earl Slick, still don't.

    Right I'll shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Bad artists copy. Great artists steal."
    -Pablo Picasso

    ReplyDelete
  18. My personal favorite: "Scary Monsters." The songs, the sound, the emotion. It all worked. I like many of the mid-70s singles, but no single album captivated me as much as "Scary Monsters." I also like "Young Americans" a lot. Again; very good songs. I agree with Sal: the last trio (or was it more?) of studio albums was also very, very good. A shame he's not giving us more new music.

    ReplyDelete